Score problems and tenuto distance too small

Begonnen von Swetom2011, Dienstag, 10. Januar 2023, 16:15

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Swetom2011

First of all I would like to wish you all a happy new year and take the opportunity to thank you for the support I received.  I'm originally from Sweden but live in Germany since many years. Still, I prefer writing in English because it's much faster for me.

I'm by no means a composer, arranger or engraver but an amateur musician responsible for the music library of our symphony orchestra. In this role, being from Sweden but living in Germany, I try to introduce Swedish composers abroad. The latest piece I engraved in Lilypond was an Interlude from Stenhammar's monumental work, Sången = das Lied. Stenhammar was, in fact, active as conductor at the Göteborg (my home town). In the end, I plan to engrave the complete symphonic work.  So far, there is no printed music from this work and I'm engraving it from Stenhammar's original manuscript. I received very good photo copies from the Royal Theatre and music Library in Stockholm.  I started with the interlude because we performed it as a "Zugabe" at our last concert just before Christmas. The score is to big for being attached but if you are interested, you can download it from here https://login.yoursecurecloud.de/f/1ff9ccc5ccc34c06ba92/

That was a long introduction, now a few questions.  I had the score and parts out for proofreading.  Most of the comments received have been implemented but there are a few that I'm a little lost regarding the best way to solve them:

Tenuto
The tenuto indications are too close to the note heads in the violin part and too close to the beams in the score, see also attached ViolinI part. This appears to be the default setting but how can it be improved?

I've received a suggestion to define a custom design, i.e.
\version "2.24.0"
customTenuto = #(define-event-function () ()
#{
\tweak padding #1
$(make-music
'ArticulationEvent
'articulation-type
'tenuto
)
#}
)
{
c''4\tenuto
c''4\customTenuto
}

In principle it works, but it looks like nothing change from the initial setting until you set \tweak padding to something larger than 0.3.  Then it remains unchanged again until you reach a setting of 1.5.

Also, I need to get my piece working with V2.24.0.

Spacing of musical elements
There is a lot of dynamic markings in the piece, i.e. very crowded and it is difficult to spread out e.g. hairpins such that thy fall in the same line as the "fzp" and other dynamics. It's ok in the score but in the parts isn't not so good, see for example measure 37 in the attached ViolinI part.  In lilypond, I use the following (sorry, no executable code):

\version "2.22.2"
f2( \> e4) es \<
    << es1 ( \fzp { s4 s\< s\> _\mol s\! } >> %This is measure 37
    d1)

The score (sorry, this is a long shot so if you don't bother to look at it, I understand)
I was a little lazy setting up the score as I reused a layout I used for another piece years ago which in turn was a reuse of a layout I found on Lilypond's main page under Large Projects contributed by Hu Haipeng, a blind composer. Hereto a few comments:

The single long brace that encloses the entire orchestra is not needed but as the score design is rather complicated, I fail to understand how to remove it
  • Any ideas how can it be removed?
Normally I would expect the composer's name to be placed lower and closer to the top staff.  It's at least what I understand from Elaine Gould "Behind Bars".
  • Ideas how this can be changed

Multimax

Hi Swetom,

please post executable code. That makes it easier for me to try out soloutions for your problems.

Your post contains several questions. Maybe it would be better to create one thread for every single questions.

kind regards

Multimax

Swetom2011

I'll try. However no so simple to "filter out" the problematic parts as it's "embedded" and spread within various support files, music parts, parts and score files.